Military Museum, Belgrade

The Military Museum  in Belgrade was founded in 1878. The museum has over 3000 ancient and modern items. These include Roman swords and helmets, Greek helmets and daggers, Serbian heavy knight’s armor, axes, shields, helmets, crossbows, armored gloves, as well as Western medieval weapons. There are also more modern guns, firearms, and elements of soldier’s uniforms and equipment. Dioramas, plaques, and displays illustrate the use and historical context of the museum’s collection. It was founded by the Decree of Prince Milan Obrenovi? IV on August 22, 1878 on preposition of Minister of the Army, colonel Sava Gruji?.

The first permanent display was opened in 1904, coinciding with the 100th Anniversary of the Serbian Revolution and as a part of King Petar`s Coronation Ceremonies. Soon after its foundation, the Museum entered Europe by participating in the Balkan Expo in London in 1907. There, with around 100 carefully chosen objects, the Museum attracted the attention of the London public and it was described in local newspapers. The Museum’s building was destroyed by Austro-Hungarian forces during the First World War, and countless priceless collections were destroyed or were seized. Again, more than two decades had past before the new Display opened. King Alexandar I Karadjordjevi? issued a Decree of Founding the Military Museum in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Brigadier Vojislav Vukovi?, major of Royal Court, became the director of the Museum. The Systematical collecting of objects started and numerous donors, former soldiers and their descendants responded. Their names were signed in a special “Golden Book”, the work of famous Russian artist Vsevolod Guljevi?. The book is still kept in the Military Museum. A new, permanent Display was opened in 1937 in two buildings of which one is today a residence of City Bureau for the Preservation of Monuments.

During the Second World War, the collections suffered new devastation. However, according to the program of occupation troops, some cultural institutions with Military Museums among them continued their work during the occupation. The collecting of objects and their preservation was the main responsibility of the museum staff. The Allied bombing of Belgrade in 1944 brought new destruction of the museum buildings and collections. Inside the museum’s main building, the exhibits are found in a single long hall progressing from ancient through medieval and then towards modern. All exhibits are labeled in the Serbian Language in both Cyrillic and Latin, as well as English. Outside the museum’s main building, there are numerous tanks, howitzers, and armored cars of many types. Some were acquired during World War II, when they were captured by the Red Army and Yugoslav Partisans from retreating Nazi and Axis forces (Belgrade Offensive). These decommissioned tanks and artillery pieces line the walls and paths leading into the Military Museum from two directions. Recent exhibits address NATO actions against Serbia in 1999, including the controversial use of cluster bombs, depleted uranium, and graphite bombs, some of which are claimed to be in violation of international law. A well-known exhibit features parts of a US F-117 stealth aircraft which was downed by a Serbian S-125 Neva/Pechora. The Military Museum is located inside the walls of the historic Belgrade Fortress, situated at the confluence of the Sava and Danube rivers. The Belgrade Fortress is located within a popular park known as the Kalemegdan Park, near the center of the city.

Great view from Avala Tower

The Avala Tower is a 204.5 m (671 ft) tall telecommunication tower located on Avala mountain in the periphery of Belgrade. The original tower was finished in 1965, but was destroyed by the NATO bombardment of Serbia on 29 April 1999. On 21 December 2006, the reconstruction of Avala Tower commenced and the tower was officially opened at a ceremony on 21 April 2010. It is currently the tallest tower in the Balkan region.

The views from the monument and the tower are tremendous. The views from the top of the tower itself are really great.


The tower was designed by architects Uglješa Bogdanovi? and Slobodan Janji?, and engineer Milan Krsti?. Construction started on 14 October 1961 and was completed four years later in 1965. The tower weighed 4,000 tonnes (3,900 long tons; 4,400 short tons). Between 102 m (335 ft) and 135 m (443 ft), there was an enclosed observation deck. It was the only tower in the world to have an equilateral triangle as its cross section, and one of very few towers not perched directly into the ground, but standing on its legs. The legs formed a tripod, the symbol of Serbian tripod chair. It is one of the small number of towers to be constructed in that manner.

The Avala Tower was destroyed on 29 April 1999 by NATO bombardment. The Avala Tower was a symbol of pride and a famous landmark, not only of Belgrade and Serbia, but of the former Yugoslavia too. The tower was one of the last buildings to be destroyed before the end of the NATO operation. A special bomb was used to destroy the tower.
In 2004, Radio Television Serbia commenced a series of fund-raising events in order to collect money to construct the building once again at the same place it was destroyed.

In 2005, clearing of the site where the tower was destroyed began and on 21 December 2006 the construction of a new Avala Tower commenced. The opening date was 29 April 2009, the tenth anniversary of its destruction.

Summer, Belgrade, BIOCAD

The summer of 2016 will stay in our memories for a long time because of 2 great events: Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and BIOCAD conference that took place in Belgrade. We can say that we were “very involved” about the second one and we are very proud about that!

We are very pleased to have a client such as BIOCAD. BIOCAD is Russia’s leading innovative biotechnology company; it combines a world-class research and development center, ultra-modern pharmaceutical and biotechnological manufacturing facilities, as well as preclinical and clinical research infrastructure compliant with international standards.

Hotel Hyatt Regency 5* was a good choice for this conference since it is one of the best hotels in Belgrade and it can provide such a service for highly demanding clients.  Beside the official program of the conference our client had some time to meet the Capital of Serbia and to enjoy its spirit.

Since BIOCAD is Russia’s leading innovative biotechnology company we had to organize Gala dinner that will fulfill their expectations. For that occasion we have choose Royal Compound as option no.1 for occasion like this one. We have also organized a short tour through the Royal Compound, before the dinner, since it was unique opportunity to represent a piece of Serbian history to our guest. Our friends from music band Belgrade Acoustic Orchestra were on a mission to entertain people from BIOCAD company, and just a quick look on their smiling  faces told us – mission accomplished .

Tavern Question Mark “?”

Did you know Tavern “?” was built in 1823 as a property of Miloš Obrenovi? I, Prince of Serbia, designed by an unnamed Greek architect. It was first used by Macedonian diplomat and merchant Naum I?ko, after which Prince Miloš gave it to his personal doctor Toma Kosti? known as E?im Toma (e?im is a Turkish word for doctor) for his efforts during the Second Serbian Uprising.

Realizing its favorable location, E?im Toma soon converted it into a tavern that was known around town as” E?im Toma’s tavern”. During the early 1830s the tavern (Serbian “kafana”) was frequented by famous Serbian linguist and language reformer Vuk Stefanovi? Karadži?.

In 1878 its name was changed to “Kod pastira” (Shepherd’s). It got its present unusual name in 1892, during a dispute with the Serbian Orthodox Church authorities over the owner’s intention to change its name to “Kod Saborne crkve” ( Next to Belgrade Cathedral ), to which the church authorities vehemently protested, not wanting to see a cathedral’s name in the name of a tavern. So, as a temporary solution, the tavern’s owner put a question mark on the door, and it soon became the official name of the place. For a while, out of respect for the church, smoking was prohibited inside the tavern, but this didn’t last.

Today, you can enjoy in the authentic ambience of this XIX century restaurant, its music program and national food and drinks that are prepared in a traditional way.

Tavern “?” is located in the heart of Belgrade. Its atmosphere and its charm make it an iconic gathering place for Serbian bohemians. The offer of the restaurant includes the specialties of national cuisine and excellent drinks that are simply irresistible.